Making Canvas Class Recordings Available to Specific People
If you’re recording class to canvas but you only want specific people to view those videos, follow these steps. You’ll need to repeat Step 3 on for each week’s class:
- If you don’t already see “Class Recordings” on the left-side navigation bar, you’ll have to enable it by going to your Canvas Course > Settings > Navigation > Right click on “Class Recordings” at the bottom and “Enable” > Then Save
- Now enabled, go to “Class Recordings” in Canvas > (folder) Settings in the top right > Settings > Change “Availability” to “When approved by publisher.”
- You will now get an email whenever your class recording has posted, so you can edit access and approve it for viewing
- Back in “Class Recordings” create a new Folder for each week’s recordings
- In that new folder, go to Settings > Share > Change (blue highlight) > Stop Inheriting
- Now that you’ve clicked “Stop Inheriting” you can change access for that folder. Make sure to delete the “Class Name” – Viewer ONLY. If you delete Creator you will lose access yourself! Then add the names/pennkey of the students who should have access to view and make sure they’re labeled as Viewer and not Creator.
- You and your specific students now have access to the Folder’s contents! So let’s move the video into that folder. Click on “Class Recordings” on the Navigation bar on the left again to go to the top most folder and find your recordings that’ve posted automatically.
- Click the Settings gear on the Video you want to move
- Then under Overview, click Edit next to Folder and you’ll get a drop-down menu to move the video into a specific folder. Move it to the folder you created for that week. Then Save.
- Last step is to go to scroll down to Approval and Approve the video for viewing!
- Enable Class Recordings on the Navigation Bar
- Change video availability to “When approved by publisher”
- Create a folder in Class Recordings for each week’s class
- Adjust the permissions in each week’s folder depending on who needs access
- Move the class recording/video into the appropriate folder
- Approve the video for viewing
If you have any questions, please submit a support request to email@example.com